15 Oct 2010

Variable colored beauty of the sea

The sea is full of suprises, we have seen this by now many times, but what never seems to astonish me is the suprises we find when we least expect them. Like yesterday for example, I dove in 4 meters of water in the muddy straight between Galatas and Poros, for training purposes.. I never go in the water without my one and only small camera, just for those suprises...and look what I found!
The beautiful Hypselodoris picta


This chromodorid is the largest of all chromodorids in the Mediterranean, reaching a size of 20 cm and it's distribution reaches as far as the Eastern Atlantic.
Because of its chromatic variations, this species has changed many names with the most common synonym being Hypselodoris elegans.
Nowdays, it has at least 5 subspecies depending on its locality and color.
This magnificent slug prefers to eat various sponges but its favorite food are sponges of the genus Dysidea.

3 comments:

  1. Please, always keep your small camera... we love seeing your photos... especially when we see underwater organisms we had never the chance to see them in the past...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you love to see them Giorgos, I promise to always keep her, she has been ever so loyal :)
    More treasures are on the way,things that
    I never thought existed!
    ps tha perasw gia loukoumades kathws anevainw
    filia polla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nudies! Yay. I like this post :)

    ReplyDelete