1 Jan 2010

2010 first step by the Giant Goby


Gobius cobitis is the biggest fish of the about 20 species of the family Gobiidae in the Mediterranean sea. That’s why I chose him for doing the first step of our blog for the New Year. I read on internet that it is considered as a protected animal in G.Britain but I think that this is a little bit strange. I met him as his was doing his midday walk away from his rocks. I don’t know if he was hunting anything because his feeding is very variable between green algae, crustaceans, insects and polychaeta. He lives in the intertidal and very shallow water between rocks and hides in small caves if any annoying photographer disturbs his silence ;-). His large size (up to 27 cm) sometimes fools naturalists as they believe that it is a small grouper or whatever else they think. Fishbase calls him chondrogovios (χοντρογωβίος) which is a name I have never heard and means fat-goby. A fisherman was calling this fish Petrakis (Πετράκης) and I find it much more gentle but I am not sure if this can be considered as a local name.

No comments:

Post a Comment